RYSs and Yoga Alliance Continuing Education Providers (YACEPs)
Last week, we announced a temporary provision to allow RYSs to offer contact hours in any of the five Educational Categories virtually during currently active teacher trainings from March 13 until April 13. We have heard from many RYS programs scheduled to start in the next several weeks that they are hesitant to move forward without knowing whether our exemption will be continued, if need be.
Because it is unclear when the need for social distancing will end, as of today March 19, we have extended this provision until June 30 to include currently active programs as well as those trainings that will be running sessions during this timeframe. This is intended to apply to programs that would otherwise be delivered in-person. We will continually evaluate whether there is a need to extend this provision further throughout the duration of the pandemic.
In addition, based on common questions from members, we would like to clarify that this exemption applies to:
- RYS 200, RYS 300, and RYS 500 teacher training programs;
- RCYS and RPYS teacher training programs;
- Trainings and courses in support of the Yoga Alliance Continuing Education (CE) requirements; and
- ALL Educational Categories, including practicum (practice teaching) and observation requirements.
Finally, while we ask that RYSs report their intentions to use this temporary provision to email@example.com for our records and for accountability, you do not need to wait for approval from Yoga Alliance to start delivering your content virtually. We will log the information into your account for reference and contact you if any further information is needed.
Please note: We do recommend, where possible, that trainings and courses make every attempt to deliver virtual content live (not pre-recorded) in effort to more fully replicate in-person trainings. That said, we understand that this is not always possible.
Registered Yoga Teachers (RYTs)
We have also received a few common questions from our member teachers which we want to address below.
- Hours taught virtually may be counted as regular teaching hours—remember to utilize your Yoga Alliance dashboard to keep track of any hours taught.
- You may also temporarily utilize online courses as contact hours for your CE requirements.